The Cedarburg Woman’s Club initiated plans for a public library in 1911. Books were acquired through donations and were organized in the State Bank building. The collection found a more permanent home in the 1908 City firehouse building, occupying 2, 182 square feet of space.
The library was open to the public two days each week starting in 1912. Librarian, Miss Adele Kroehnke, and three assistants were hired to manage the collection and services. Approximately 243 library cards had been issued and 200 books donated.
City growth led to the building of a new 10,812 square foot library in 1971. This building, located on Hanover Avenue, was designed to hold 60,000 books and seat 70 people.
Cedarburg Public Library automated its catalog and circulation systems in 1995. Two years later a survey found that citizens wanted the library to also improve technology and collections, include a meeting room, provide a larger more modern space, and expand hours. This led to a capital improvement plan for library renovation and expansion.
In 1997 a City and Town Joint Library Board studied the library needs of the Cedarburg community through a series of forums and focus groups. Planning for a new library ensued for the next 17 years. Planning included a capital campaign to raise $730,000 for furnishing the library. The building itself totaled 6.2 million.
July 12, 2014 the new 25,500 square foot library building opened. It is home to approximately 72,000 items including books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, magazines and newspapers. In addition to the physical collection the library offers online research databases; electronic books, audiobooks, and magazines; and microfilm and microfiche. The library provides computers with Internet access, Microsoft Office software, and print capability. Study rooms and a Community Room are available by reservation.
Click here to see a map of Gifts for Library Areas and Collections.
See the For You pages for additional services.